Season: September 1, 2023 to August 31, 2024
- Retail Rates
- Adult $55
- Child (4-15 yrs) $30
- Infant (0-3 yrs) FOC
Anya & Frank Walkington
Automated Booking system – live inventory available through Rezdy API – contact us for connection activation
Manual bookings by email (email@example.com) – information required:
- Date of tour
- Time of tour (11am, 1pm, 4pm)
- Name of guests
- Number of people for booking including infants
- Children – ages
- Contact number of guest (preferably NZ number)
- Notify us if customer is driving a camper van
Cancellation Policy – if a cancellation is made by the customer within 48 hours of arrival day, loss of 100% of the total booking price will apply. If a customer would like to reschedule, we will happily do that provided we have availability for the requested date/time change.
Rainy Day – farm tours can proceed on rainy days as we have under cover facilities and also provide rain jackets.
Extreme weather event – in the event we cancel a tour due to extreme weather conditions, we will refund customer if payment has been made in advance.
Farm Road/Parking – Our farm road has also been upgraded with a concrete surface in most parts. Please let your customers know that our road is a one way road and is ALWAYS open for guests arriving for a farm tour. When guests depart, they will be told by a staff member when the road is open for them to drive down.
All guests driving cars and vans up to 14 seats must park at the reception building. Buses and large campervans must park in the designated parking area at the entrance and phone (03) 3045141 for pick up.
Check In process – guests must arrive 15 minutes before tour booking time. All guests are required to check-in on arrival through our digital check-in system.
Late Arrival – if guests arrive after start of tour, they will be able to join the tour in progress. Tour will still end at scheduled time.
Payment Procedures – We require company credit card details for security. Credit card details to be provided (name, number, expiry, CV). Credit card number to be provided as security (only charged in event of late payment or charged on request with the addition of a transaction fee of 2.75%)
- A statement will be emailed at end of month of tour with payment due on receipt of invoice/statement to our bank account.
- Bank Details – Shamarra Ltd, Account no. 03 0252 0611318 00, Swift code: WPACNZ2W
- Tour starts with a brief introduction to alpacas and their unique and quirky habits. Guests will come into close contact with their new found friends, so we’ll also give a quick safety briefing with an alpaca in the barn for demonstration.
- An award-winning alpaca fleece is on display, and they’ll get to feel the incredible cashmere-like softness of superfine alpaca whilst simultaneously learning about its amazing qualities.
- We will then walk guests through our alpaca herd where they can enjoy interacting with these gentle animals while they graze contentedly in their natural habitat. While doing so, they’ll see our sustainable farming practices first hand, and learn about how we keep our adorable alpacas safe, healthy and happy.
- Feed the mothers with their young by their side. This provides some amazing close-up alpaca contact and great photos of the cutest of cute.
- Take advantage of the views across Akaroa harbour which are absolutely phenomenal and provide endless photo opportunities for lasting memories of your visit to our farm.
- At the end of their tour, guests will enjoy a beverage and one of our famous home-baked cookies.
- They’ll then be able to browse the Shamarra Alpaca Shop. It’s a boutique collection of luxurious, natural and 100% dye-free alpaca knitwear made in New Zealand.
THE LAND OF CUTE
Memorable moments surrounded by quirky critters with a tonne of love to give.
If you’ve ever dreamed of escaping to a place of warm hugs and postcard-perfect surroundings, welcome.
A Shamarra Alpacas Farm Tour is an unparalleled opportunity to get up close and personal with alpacas, learn about this loving animal, and create some memories with friends and family in a stunning location.
You’ll find your new furry friends here in a beautiful harbour on the slopes of an extinct volcano and overlooked by craggy volcanic hills. Shamarra Alpacas is just over an hour’s drive (73km) from Christchurch Central, and only a 20 minute trip from the historic seaside village of Akaroa, which is worth visiting for its culture and architecture alone. Our panoramic views of Akaroa harbour and the rolling hills and peaks of the surrounding valleys are breath-taking, and will make every one of your selfies with an alpaca post-worthy.
We are open year round, with the scenery changing beautifully through each season and the alpacas staying cute throughout.
Anya and Frank founded Shamarra Alpacas in 2004 with just a small herd of 5 alpacas. Today, our alpacas number over 170 and a team of passionate guides are on hand to share the alpaca love with visitors from across the globe.
Our super-knowledgeable and beyond-friendly staff will introduce you to the world of alpaca rearing, the unique traits of the alpaca, and bring you into the family fold with tips and tricks for the best cuddles! The team is also culturally diverse, meaning we can offer tours in either English or Mandarin.